Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A New Blog, A New Inspiration

This is the second blog I will have created for a class here at BYU. The last one was for a Principles of Journalism class last semester. Before then, I had never blogged before. I found my experience last semester to be an enjoyable one, as I became acquainted with the finer points of blogging.

I realized as I went through the semester that my primary purpose for my blog shifted during the semester. At first, my primary motivation was for the grade. The more I wrote, however, the more I wanted to bring certain subjects to light and either seek others' opinions or get them to agree to my own. As such, I am ecstatic to have another opportunity to blog for this class.

When Nicole explained the blog assignment, a title immediately came to mind: Crystal Blue Persuasion. It comes from a song by Tommy James and the Shondells (I'm an aficionado of oldies and classic rock). I know it's pretty cheesy for a persuasive writing class, but you'll find that my sense of humor is inherently cheesy. I apologize in advance.

According to both Wikipedia and Songfacts.com, the title comes from James' study of the Bible. Perhaps Ezekiel, the Song of Solomon, or the book of Revelation. Perhaps from a tract of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Whatever the case, the song is persuasive in itself, as it seeks to help people to love one another:

Look over yonder what do you see
The sun is a-risin' most definitely
A new day is comin' people are changin'
Ain't it beautiful crystal blue persuasion

Better get ready gonna see the light
Love, love is the answer and that's all right
So don't you give up now so easy to find
Just look to your soul and open your mind

Crystal blue persuasion, mm-hmm
It's a new vibration
Crystal blue persuasion, crystal
Blue persuasion

Maybe tomorrow when He looks down
Every green field and every town
All of his children every nation
There'll be peace and good brotherhood

Crystal blue persuasion
Crystal blue persuasion.....

1 comment: