Friday, February 13, 2009

RA #5: "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival



"Fortunate Son" was released by Creedence Clearwater Revival on their 1969 album, "Willy and the Poor Boys".

Some folks are born made to wave the flag,
Ooh, they're red, white and blue.

And when the band plays "Hail to the Chief",

Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord,


It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no senator's son, son.

It ain't me, it ain't me;
I ain't no fortunate one, no,

Yeah!


Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,

Lord, don't they help themselves, oh.

But when the taxman comes to the door,
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes,


It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no millionaire's son, no.

It ain't me, it ain't me;
I ain't no fortunate one, no.


Some folks inherit star spangled eyes,

Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord,
And when you ask them, "How much should we give?"

Ooh, they only answer More! more! more!


It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no military son, son.

It ain't me, it ain't me;
I ain't no fortunate one, one.


The song was inspired by David Eisenhower, the grandson of President Dwight Eisenhower who married Julie Nixon, the daughter of President Richard Nixon in 1968.

WATCO and Enthymeme

What are the consequences of nepotism/favoritism within the government and private sector on the morale of Vietnam troops?

Nepotism or favoritism within the government and the private sector drains the morale of Vietnam troops because the privileges of children of those in government or the private sector (including avoiding being drafted) makes Vietnam troops feel they are of a lesser worth in society.

Audience

Those against the Vietnam War who either do or do not realize the apparent "draft-dodging" of those in the upper class.

Goal

Create a rallying cry of protest to help those who are anti-war to shift the view of supporters of the war towards identifying this double standard.

How?

The song itself is sung in a very fast, angry and passionate tone. Since this is the normal tone of those who protest against the war, this song uses that pathos to incite even greater passion amongst those protesters.

The point of view from which the words spring forth (the thoughts of an anti-war person being drafted into the war) also appeal to pathos, as well as relevance. These are likely thoughts that crossed through the minds of many of those who were drafted despite opposing the war. Dwelling on these thoughts will increase the likelihood of these feelings of relative worthlessness.

Since the audience are those who are against the war, the fact that one of their own who has recognized this double standard is leading the rallying cry appeals to the ethos of the crowd.

Effectiveness

The passion with which the song is delivered helps to enhance the effectiveness of the argument. If it had been sung in a smooth Bob Dylan-esque style, it may have appealed to some of the anti-war crowd, but not as many as John Fogerty's fiery delivery. The words seem like the actual thoughts of someone in that situation, so it would be very easy for a protester to correlate their own thoughts to those of the lyrics and express them to those who are blind to the double standard.


No comments:

Post a Comment